I have been getting all kinds of zucchini from friends who have gardens, so I have been making and freezing lots of muffins for hectic school mornings. But I decided I should probably branch out and be a little creative so I started searching for some ideas.
I found this recipe for zucchini dill soup from PDX Food Love and just that day another friend had given me a huge bunch of dill (I think people know I like fresh stuff!) So I decided this was a good thing to try!
I fell in love. Completely and utterly in love.
We had a friend over that evening who is quite a foodie himself and he agreed, it was perfection.
So long as you like dill There are a couple people in my family who are not too fond of dill and they ate the soup but gave ho-hum reviews. So if you like dill and a good creamy, smooth summer soup, this is for you.
It would be divine served with a hunk of fresh baguette for light lunch.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 very large zucchini, diced (5 or 6 generous cups of cubes)
- ½ large white onion, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, smashed
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups broth or stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 2-4 tablespoons cream
- Salt to taste
- Serve with sour cream and a little extra virgin olive oil
- In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil just a bit and then add the zucchini, onion and garlic. Cook until soft.
- Add the flour and stir to coat all the veggies.
- Slowly pour in the broth a little at a time, stirring between additions.
- Add the dill and lemon juice and then transfer to a blender or food processor (or use a stick blender - even easier!) and blend until smooth. If using a blender, take the little center piece off the lid and cover with a clean tea towel or the whole thing will explode.
- Once blended and smooth, pour back into the pot and add the cream and salt. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with a bit of sour cream and olive oil.
Latest posts by Megan (see all)
- Cotton Candy Cupcakes - March 27, 2015
- Super Easy Super Tasty Egg Casserole - March 25, 2015
- Post-Workout Protein: Why you need it and how to get it. - March 23, 2015