The flavor is always amazing and that crunch you get from the tortilla chips is just perfect.
But for some reason I have not made it in YEARS.
I have no idea why. I guess I kinda forgot about it. Until a few weeks ago when I did a bunch of freezer meals. I was cooking up a ton of taco meat and thought to myself, I bet taco soup would be excellent frozen.
Because when isn’t taco soup amazing? It had been so long since I had made it I couldn’t remember where I had a recipe for it so I searched for a new one and came up with an excellent result.
It is everything I had hoped for.
Plus. It’s SUPER easy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16 oz can of corn (undrained)
- 1 16 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilis
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- tortilla chips
- cheese, sour cream, olives, or avocado as garnish
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, brown the meat with the onion, chili powder, cumin, oregano and garlic.
- Add in the corn, black beans, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce and chilis.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer about 20 minutes to meld the flavors and then serve topped with cilantro and other accompaniments desired.
TO MAKE THIS A FREEZER MEAL
- Simply cool the soup in the fridge until cold. Then pour or scoop into a freezer bag and freeze.
- When ready to eat you can either choose to thaw in the fridge or on the counter until thawed out or place the bag in a pot of simmering water until heated through, about 45 minutes.
- Serve with toppings.
Recipe adapted from: http://www.thewaytohisheartblog.com
Latest posts by Megan (see all)
- Triple Chocolate Mousse Brownies - March 4, 2015
- Let’s Talk Superfood’s….A Few You Might Not Have Thought Of. - March 2, 2015
- Grain and Sugar Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins - February 27, 2015