A few weeks ago my sister in law, Amanda (married to my brother) and I made these cupcakes for my other sister in law’s (my husband’s sister – just don’t want anyone to get confused) wedding.
These were a huge success.
The mousse is so light and delicious you could just eat it all day long.
Amanda was in charge of coming up with this recipe so this is her creation and they are divine.
If the raw egg makes you nervous (I didn’t want to serve raw egg at a wedding so this is what I did) you can place the whites in a double boiler and whisk them briskly over medium high heat until they reach about 130˚ and then let them sit until you are ready to use them. Right before pouring them in whisk them a little to blend.
- RASPBERRY WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
- 4 ounces white chocolate
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1 tsp Raspberry Extract
- ¼ cup fresh raspberries
FOR THE CUPCAKE BATTER
- 1½ cups unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup white chocolate coarsely chopped
- TO MAKE THE MOUSSE
- Melt chocolate.
- beat butter until very fluffy.
- Add sugar and beat until very pale. It will look white.
- Mix in the warm chocolate.
- Add Raspberry
- Add eggs Whites one at a time and beat until very fluffy
- Carefully break the raspberries into small pieces and gently fold in to the mousse
TO MAKE THE CUPCAKES
- Preheat the oven to 350˚. Line the cups of a muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Lower the speed to medium and add the eggs, one at a time, scraping the bowl between each addition. Add the vanilla and coconut extract.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and kosher salt. Alternate between adding the flour mixture and milk to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add the shredded coconut and the white chocolate.
- Divide the batter between each of the muffin cups so that they are about ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan about 10 minutes, then carefully remove the cupcakes from the pan and place on a wire cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.