I have made this sauce a many times now and I LOVE it. I put it over popcorn the other night for a family movie night and Jeremiah and I were trying to eat it as fast as we could before the other person ate it all.
It’s a dry caramel which I have to admit I was a little scared of at first but now I actually prefer it to using water. I find it to be easier and more consistent.
(makes about 2 cups)
2 cups sugar
12 tablespoons butter
1 cup heavy cream, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1. Put the sugar in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the sugar melts, this will take a few minutes.
2. Once the sugar has all melted start adding the butter one piece at a time. Whisk until the butter is all melted
3. Wait about 3 seconds and then add the cream slowly. Whisk as you add until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Remove from heat.
4. Add the salt and whisk again a couple times just to incorporate.
5. Let cool in the pan for a bit and then pour, carefully, into a mason jar to store. It should keep for about 2 weeks in the fridge but I haven’t tested that since it never lasts more than 24 hours in my house.
My kids eat it on a spoon…
…my husband also likes to dip apple slices in it, that is why it is usually gone so fast.