I have made this sauce a many times now and I LOVE it. I put it over popcorn the other night for a family movie night and Jeremiah and I were trying to eat it as fast as we could before the other person ate it all. It's a dry caramel which I have to admit I was a little scared of at first but now I actually prefer it to using water. I find it to be easier and more consistent. My kids eat it on a spoon... ...my husband also likes to dip apple slices in it, that is why it is usually gone so fast.
- 2 cups sugar
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Put the sugar in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the sugar melts, this will take a few minutes.
- Once the sugar has all melted start adding the butter one piece at a time. Whisk until the butter is all melted
- Wait about 3 seconds and then add the cream slowly. Whisk as you add until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Remove from heat.
- Add the salt and whisk again a couple times just to incorporate.
- Let cool in the pan for a bit and then pour, carefully, into a mason jar to store. It should keep for about 2 weeks in the fridge but I haven't tested that since it never lasts more than 24 hours in my house.