My mom has been making this coffee cake for years. It’s fun to watch her make it cause she doesn’t look at the recipe or measure anything. I love it!
It’s a great recipe because, unlike most coffee cake recipes, it is super fast to make and doesn’t make a ton of it. It can easily be whipped up on a school morning or before church. It is a pretty flexible recipe in that you can use all-purpose flour if you like or whole grain flour if that’s more your style.
I’m more of a whole grain sort of person and I grind all my own flour which often needs slightly different measurements since it is much lighter than store bought flour so I will note both measurements for you and you can pick what you want to do.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour (For the freshly ground flour recipe use 1½ cups soft white wheat pastry flour and ½ cup coconut flour + 1 tablespoon gluten flour)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup oil (I use coconut oil)
- ⅔ cup milk (If using the fresh ground flour option above, use 1¼ cups milk)
- 4 tablespoons soft butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Spray a 9” cake pan with cooking spray or coat with butter.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and powder and salt. Add egg, oil and milk and mix into the dry ingredients. Pour into cake pan.
- To make the topping mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon and flour. Cut in the butter with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over the top of the cake batter, then sprinkle chopped nuts over the top of that. I also sometimes like to add a little extra brown sugar over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Latest posts by Megan (see all)
- Let’s Talk Superfood’s….A Few You Might Not Have Thought Of. - March 2, 2015
- Grain and Sugar Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins - February 27, 2015
- Mexican Chicken Salad - February 25, 2015