I made these for Sunday morning breakfast before church. Jeremiah and I are really the blueberry pancake lovers in the house. Christian eats them because he doesn’t really know the difference but Linus and Jules are not too keen on them. So I wanted to wait and make them on a morning when Jeremiah was going to be home so I wouldn’t have to eat them all by myself.
I just used my other pancake recipe, Light, Fluffy and Delicious Pancakes but I actually had buttermilk on hand so I got to use that and they were so yummy!
NOTE: I like to substitute coconut flour for the all purpose for a healthier option and you can also use honey for the sugar.
FOR THE SAUCE
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup maple syrup
FOR THE PANCAKES
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- butter for the pan
- To make the sauce, combine the lemon zest and blueberries in a medium saucepan over medium heat. The blueberries will start to give off their juices so you don’t need to add any liquid to the pan. Just make sure to stir them often so they don’t burn.
- Cook them until all the juices are released, about 7-8 minutes.
- Then press through a sieve to remove the pulp, make sure to press all the juice out. Put the juice into a clean sauce pan and add the maple syrup, cook, stirring often until thick and syrupy, about 10 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt, whisk to combine.
- In another small bowl combine the egg, buttermilk and melted butter. Add to the flour mixture and stir until mostly smooth.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet to medium, spray with cooking spray and drop about ¼ cup of batter at a time onto the griddle to make the pancakes. Add the blueberries to each pancake.
- Allow to cook until slightly brown on one side, then flip over and brown the other side.
- To serve place 2 pancakes on a plate, top with syrup and whip cream if desired.
Latest posts by Megan (see all)
- Grain and Sugar Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins - February 27, 2015
- Mexican Chicken Salad - February 25, 2015
- Fluffy Delicious Buckwheat Waffles - February 23, 2015