How fitting to make this soup now we actually live in Montana! It is the perfect accompaniment to Montana weather too. Cold snowy weather and soup with the most amazing whole wheat rolls go together like coffee and chocolate.
This soup recipe was originally given to me by Lisa Peterson when I was working at Miracle Ranch. It is one of our family’s favorites and it is very simple and easy to make. It has a silky, creamy texture with the combination of slowly cooked chicken, homemade stock and heavy cream. Delicious.
You may choose to make the broth yourself if you like, I think the flavor is much better and the chicken is so tender since you cook it until it is falling off the bone. But you can easily use store bought broth and leftover chicken or turkey or a rotisserie or whatever and it will still be good
For the broth:
1 whole chicken
2 celery stalks
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
For the soup:
1 whole cooked chicken cut in small pieces
6 cups broth from chicken
2 cups wild rice cooked in chicken broth
1/2 cup butter
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 pint heavy cream
1. Place a whole chicken in a large stock pot with a couple carrots, a stalk or two of celery, a bit of parsley, a bay leaf, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of thyme, salt and pepper and cover with water. Bring to a boil a then reduce to simmering. A few hours will do it but you can leave it for a day or so and just keep refilling the water. Then you just carefully lift out the chicken and strain out all the stuff and you have chicken broth.
2. Next, sauté the onion, carrots and celery in the butter until soft, about 20 minutes.
3. Add broth and rice and heat to boiling.
4. Just prior to serving add the heavy cream, the soup is always very hot so this helps to bring the temperature down a bit.
Serve with fresh, warm whole wheat rolls.
Latest posts by Megan (see all)
- Cotton Candy Cupcakes - March 27, 2015
- Super Easy Super Tasty Egg Casserole - March 25, 2015
- Post-Workout Protein: Why you need it and how to get it. - March 23, 2015